Women’s No 1 choice – 80% of women preferred Lumea to their conventional hair removal method, because it’s fast, effective and convenient
Fast – Wider 4 cm⊃2; application window with new Slide & Flash mode for even faster application as well as Step & Flash mode for precision treatment
Effective – Up to 80% reduction in hair regrowth in just 8 weeks; then simply repeat treatment as necessary to prevent re-growth
Specialized – New bikini area attachment improves performance
Convenient – Advanced Salon technology for use at home at a time to suit you. Rechargeable, ready to use, no gels or accessories needed
Versatile – Suitable for body and now for the face too. 5 light energy settings – suitable for most skin tones and hair colors
Application Areas and Treatment
Times – Use with confidence to remove hair on all body parts including legs, underarm, bikini area, stomach and arms.
Face: 1 min
Underarms: 1 min per side
Entire bikini area: 4 min
One lower leg: 8 min
One full leg: 15 min
The first stage (use twice a week) Three weeks of continuous use.
The second stage (once a week) Two weeks of continuous use.
The third stage (two weeks used once) Interval of 2 weeks, used once. At this time the hair does not grow.
Lumea uses an innovative light-based technology called IPL (Intense Pulsed Light), derived from the technology used in professional beauty salons. Lumea has adapted this technology for safe and effective use in the comfort of your own home. Lumea worked closely with leading dermatologists to develop this breakthrough hair removal system, together with consumer research involving 2000 women for over 10 years.
Five light energy settings
Lumea has five adjustable light energy settings to ensure gentle but effective treatment. Used correctly, Lumea’s IPL treatment is safe and gentle to use even on sensitive skin and sensitive body areas.
Bigger body attachment for faster treatment
Bigger body attachment for fast treatment on large areas.
Facial attachment for safe facial treatment
The facial attachment has its own specially designed integrated light filter for safe and convenient use on the upper lip, in and sideburns. It can also be used on other sensitive areas on the body, e.g. underarms and other hard-to-reach areas.
Attachment for specialized treatment of bikini area hair
Bikini area attachment for effective treatment of bikini hair. Hair in this area tends to be typically stronger and thicker than leg hair.
No replacement parts needed
Lumea is a complete solution that comes ready to work straight out of the box. More importantly, it does not require any replacement lamps or gels.
Lumea is equipped with an integrated UV filter to protect your skin from UV light. It also has an integrated safety system to prevent unintentional flashing.
How Does Lumea Prevent Hair Growth?
Gentle pulses of light are applied directly to the hair. The melanin in the hair and hair root absorbs the light pulses. This process results in the follicle going into a resting phase. The hair sheds naturally and regrowth is inhibited. A simple and gentle treatment once every two to four weeks will prevent hair roots from becoming active again and prevent new hair from growing back.
Five Steps to Everlasting Smoothness:
1. Pre-shave the treatment area to ensure the light energy is channeled in the most efficient way to the follicle. This is only required for the first few treatments.
2. Consult the skin and hair type matrix and select the light intensity suitable for your skin tone and body hair color.
3. Apply gentle pulses of light to the hair. The light produces heat in the hair, which is transferred to the hair follicle. This stimulates the hair follicle to go into a resting phase.
4. As a consequence, the hair sheds naturally and hair regrowth is inhibited.
5. To prevent hairs from growing back, the treatment must be repeated every two weeks (or every month for legs) which will progressively reduce hair regrowth to a minimum.
Light-based hair removal is one of the most effective methods to treat unwanted body hair with longer-lasting results. It is different from current home hair removal methods because it significantly reduces hair regrowth. You can now use this innovative technology comfortably in the privacy of your own home, whenever and wherever you want.
This appliance is intended for the removal of unwanted hair. It is able to deliver long-term reduction in the number of hairs that regrow after treatment. You can use it to remove unwanted body hair on all areas below the cheekbones, including the face (upper lip, chin and cheeks). This appliance has been specifically designed and optimized for use by women, but can be used by men as well. It is designed for use by one person only.
The appliance works by heating up the hair and root beneath the skin. The melanin in the hair and hair root absorbs the released light pulses. The darker the color of the hair, the more light can be absorbed. This process stimulates the hair to go into the resting phase.
In between treatments, hair sheds naturally and regrowth is inhibited. Hairs can take one or two weeks to shed.
Optimal hair removal cannot be obtained with a single session, since only hairs in the growing phase are susceptible to treatment with light. During a treatment, hairs on the treated area are usually in different stages of the hair growth cycle. To effectively treat all hairs you have to repeat the treatment once every two weeks for the first two months.
- Keep the appliance and the adapter dry
- Do not use the appliance in wet surroundings (e.g. near a filled bath or swimming pool or in a running shower)
- If the appliance is broken, do not touch any inner part to avoid electric shock
- Never insert any objects into the appliance
- This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety
- Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance
- The appliance is not intended for children under the age of 15 years. Teenagers aged between 15 and 18 years can use the appliance with the consent and/or assistance of their parents. Adults from 19 years and older can use the appliance freely
- Only use the adapter supplied
- Do not use the appliance or the adapter if it is damaged
- The adapter contains a transformer. Do not cut off the adapter to replace it with another plug, as this causes a hazardous situation
- If the adapter is damaged, always have it replaced with one of the original type in order to avoid a hazard
- Do not use the appliance if the glass of the light exit window is broken
To Prevent Damage
- Make sure that nothing obstructs the air flow through the ventilation slots
- Never subject the appliance to heavy shocks and do not shake or drop it
- If you take the appliance from a very cold environment to a very warm environment or vice versa, wait approximately 3 hours before you use it
- Store the appliance in its original box so that it does not become dusty
- Never leave the appliance unattended when it is switched on. Always switch off the appliance after use
- Use this appliance only at intensity levels suitable for your skin color (see the table in chapter ‘Preparing for use’, section ‘Skin and light intensity’)
- Use at higher levels than those recommended can increase the risk of skin reactions and side effects
Do Not Use the Appliance:
- If you are pregnant or nursing
- If your skin was exposed to strong sunlight or artificial tanning during the past 2 weeks
- If you have a naturally brownish black or darker skin
- Near or around the eyes
- On a tattoo or permanent makeup in the treatment area
- On dark spots, such as large freckles, birthmarks, moles or warts in the treatment area
- If you have eczema, psoriasis, lesions, open wounds or active infections in the treatment area
- If you have a known sensitivity to light or take medication that makes your skin more sensitive to light. Medicines known to have this effect include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, (e.g., aspirins, ibuprofens, acetaminophen), tetracyclines, phenothiazines, thiazide, diuretics, sulfonylurates, sulfonamides
- If you are or were recently treated with Alpha-Hydroxi Acids (AHAs), Beta-Hydroxi Acids (BHAs), Retin-A®, Accutane® (isotretinoin), topical retinoids, azelaic acid or steroids
- If you have abnormal skin conditions due to diabetes or another systemic or metabolic disease
- If you have a history of herpes outbreaks in the treatment area, unless you have consulted your doctor and received preventive treatment
- If you suffer from epilepsy with flashlight sensitivity
- If you have a history of skin cancer or potential malignancies in the treatment area
- Do not use the appliance on nipples, areolas, labia minora, vagina, anus and the inside of the nostrils and ears
Preparing for Use
For optimal results and greatest effect, prepare the areas on which you intend to use the appliance in the manner described below.
Preparing Treatment Areas
Step 1: Shave the areas you intend to treat as long as you still experience hair regrowth.
Note: If your last depilation method involved removing hairs by the roots (e.g epilating, waxing etc.), wait until you notice significant hair regrowth before you use the device. Do not use depilatory creams instead of shaving.
Please note that treatment on unshaven or improperly shaved areas has a number of undesired effects:
- The light exit window and attachment may become contaminated with stray hairs and dirt. A contaminated light exit window and can reduce the life and efficacy of the appliance. In addition, burns or black spots that appear on the light exit window and attachments due to contamination can cause the treatment to become painful or cause skin reactions like redness and discoloration.
- Hairs on your skin can burn, which can result in an unpleasant smell
Step 2: Clean your skin and make sure it is hair-free, entirely dry and free from oily substances (e.g. present in cosmetic products like deodorants, lotions, perfumes, tanning creams and sunscreens).
Step 3: Check the appliance, especially the light exit window for trapped hair, dust and fibres. If you see any contamination, clean the appliance.
Note: Once the hairs stop growing back, which usually happens after 4-5 treatments, you no longer have to shave before you use the appliance
Setting the light intensity
This appliance is an appliance developed for consumer use at home and therefore not comparable with professional light-based appliances with respect to pain sensation. The pulses of light delivered by this appliance are gentler than those from professional appliances and therefore you can expect a convenient and effective treatment. You have to adjust the light intensity to your skin and body hair color and to a level you find comfortable. The recommended light intensities table helps you to establish the right light intensity.
- Consult the table below to determine which light intensities are most suitable for your skin and body hair color and to check if this method is suitable for you (if it is not, this is indicated with x in the table).
- Each body area and possibly even parts of a body area may require a separate appropriate light intensity according to the recommended light intensities table below. The method is more effective at higher intensities, but you should reduce the light intensity if you experience any pain or discomfort.
Note: The required light intensity for different body areas may vary due to different skin colors. For example, the skin of the lower legs can be darker than the skin of the underarms due to more sun exposure. Persons with darker skin run a higher risk of skin irritation because their skin absorbs more light. Therefore lower intensities are recommended for persons with darker skin.